Here’s a fact we all know: You can’t jump start a dead battery with another dead battery. Well, the same is true for recharging the emotional batteries of your employees. The leader must first have a strong, positive attitude and competent emotional intelligence skills to effectively guide others in that same direction. So be sure to recharge your own batteries! Stay current with and review leadership concepts and skills that will help you serve as an effective leader for your employees. See how you measure up against these recommendations:
- Read weekly / monthly publications and blogs (like this one) or the Harvard Management Update (http://hmu.harvardbusinessonline.org).
- Attend a workshop or seminar at least once or twice a year. (Don’t forget the on-line options!)
- Attend at least one conference a year. (Most industry-specific conferences incorporate leadership sessions.)
- Read at least one leadership book a year.
- Consider a dual mentoring arrangement with another leader.